Decisions, Decisions

At the age of 20 and almost at the end of my course, it’s time to really make a decisive decision on my future.

For months I’ve been debating whether or not I should continue to the higher level of my current course. My path is not clear yet; I have no decisive answer as to what I want to do.

Reality has hit me today that I must make a decision and I don’t have a lot of time. Earlier this morning I received a letter from my university, making me a conditional offer. I know I’m not guaranteed a place yet because my final project will be the defining one. You’d think, since I’ve been thinking about it for over a year that I’d already have an answer but I don’t. I’m stuck in two mindsets. I could only wish that my answer was an easy one.

I want to apply but there are problems. Money being the main obstacle. Although I have a job (very fortunate because it’s hard getting into the jewellery business) I’m still not gaining any income and with petrol prices increasing right before my eyes (at the moment it’s 104.9p), it’s going to cost me a horrendous amount of money for travel alone. Going by train won’t make much of a difference. Putting travel aside, I still have to pay for the course, precious materials, tools and potentially more.

Although I’ve managed to get through the two years and still holding the passion from my second week of starting this course (let’s face it, the first week always seem slow) I still don’t feel as if I have the backing of my parents. My dad doesn’t say much to me in terms of university but he’s one of these dads where you have to read his facial expressions to know what he’s thinking. My mom wasn’t too keen on me taking this course anyway, as she was worried that it wouldn’t guarantee me a job for the future. She’s right but that counts for any course, right? Although they seem alright with it all now I still don’t think I have their happy with my decision.

If it weren’t for my colleague (from my first job) and my cousin I’d probably have listened to my mom. Also, if it weren’t for my job then, I wouldn’t have been able to pay for this year or last.

I was going to see how the situation with work went – whether I’d be offered a full-time job because I’ve been getting subtle hints :P. However, I have under a month to respond to the letter.

What to do? What to do?

[edit on 22/04] I’ve sent the application form. [/edit]

3 thoughts on “Decisions, Decisions

  1. WOW – you sent the form in!! I didn’t want to comment on this because I didn’t know what you should do, and didn’t want to give you the wrong opinion!!

    Annie: No worries Carly, I wasn’t expecting a comment because I know the decision is meant to be 100% my own. So yep, I sent the form in. Now I just have to wait and see…

  2. That’s good you sent the form back – I hope you get a good response and everything else goes well. :)

    Annie: Thank you, Holly. :)

Comments are closed.